This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Because life has been crazy busy and stressful the past few months, Charlie and I have reserved weekend mornings for breakfast, coffee and the DVR. Since our schedule is relaxed, I take my time cooking a yummy meal. This weekend I whipped up a batch of Honey Jalapeño Waffles which are nothing short of AMAZING.
Seriously, these waffles are everything you want breakfast to be, comfort food at its finest, carbohydrates with sweet, tangy and spicy flavors. As the holidays approach I cannot stop thinking how perfect these waffles would be for a cozy family breakfast on Christmas morning or a festive holiday brunch. Or here is an amazing idea…..Use those waffles in your Thanksgiving Day bread basket! A little breakfast for dinner…I know your mind is blown.
Now you might be thinking, jalapeños in waffles? Folks I’m telling you…Amazing. Especially if you use La Morena® Whole Jalapeños. They have there right amount of zip and tang. Also, these waffles are crisp on the outside and light as air inside. I really love La Morena® products (check out my other blog posts here and here) because they are all natural. I don’t feel like they are over processed. Eating a product with minimal processing makes me feel good especially over the holidays when we often tend to over indulge. I always feel better when I use whole natural ingerdients when cooking for family and friends.
I pair the waffles with honey syrup and dollop of sour cream and I have to say the honey syrup takes these waffles to a whole new level. It is something about the honey flavor with the jalapeños. The syrup is not super sweet and balances the bitter of the peppers. A dollop of sour cream add a bit of richness making them addictive.
Honey Jalapeño Waffles
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup La Morena® Whole Jalapeños (diced fine)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a small pot on medium heat add water, honey and cinnamon sticks.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes stir frequently. Remove cinnamon sticks and cool.
- Syrup can be stored for up to
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine wet ingredient . Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and oil in a large bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and sugar). Slowly add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until smooth.
- Fold in jalapeños.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot with honey syrup.
A few tips for making the waffles…
- Make sure to measure our your ingredients. Waffles are finicky. A little too much or too flour will give you undesirable batter. It will either be too thin or thick. I also like to dice the La Morena® whole jalapeños in my food processor for a fine even dice.
2. Make sure the waffle iron is hot and seasoned. I like to spray the grates with avocado oil and I always wait until the ready light goes on. If you’re an eager beaver and don’t wait until your iron is hot, your waffles will not cook though evenly.
3. Use a pitcher to pour the batter onto the waffle maker. It will allow you to pour it evenly over the grates.
4. Sometimes a waffle will stick to the top the iron. Use a fork to gently loosen it.
5. Stock up on ingredients. La Morena® is available at your local Jewel Osco. They can be found the in the Latin American Section. I keep their jalapeños and chipotle peppers stocked in my cabinets at all times.
I also wanted to let you know of a great sweepstakes La Morena® is hosting. The grand prize includes a Ninja Mega Kitchen system, Le Creuset 10 Piece Cookware Set, Cuisinart Knives, La Morena Wall Clock, La Morena® Tote Bag , La Morena Shirt for a total value of $610! Enter below.