This baked chicken with lemon chimichurri is a fast and flavorful weeknight dinner. Inspired by classic chimichurri, this tangy lemon version pairs beautifully with baked chicken.
I’m trying to limit the amount of red meat we eat to a few times a month. Mainly, because we eat an egg for breakfast almost daily and that much-saturated fat cannot be good for our cholesterol. This means we eat quite a bit of chicken because it’s quick to make and versatile. Grill it, poach it, roast it, bbq it..you name IT, I’ve done it. This recipe is, however, one of my go-to recipes.
NO matter if you prep this recipe a day in advance or make it from scratch at mealtime, it is delicious. The chicken is tender and the pesto-like chimichurri adds a nice zip. I often throw this baked chicken with lemon chimichurri over a salad — no dressing required. It makes great leftovers and can be eaten hot or cold.
I will be honest the chimichurri is what drives this dish home. It has an almost addictive flavor. I may or may not have eaten a spoonful(s) right from the bowl. When I make the chimichurri, I prefer to use a robust olive oil. A first press unfiltered olive oil is my preference.
If you looking for a quick side dish to accompany this baked chicken with lemon chimichurri, I recommend my pan roasted lemon potatoes. They go in the oven with the chicken and are ready to eat by the time the chicken is done resting.
Baked Chicken with Lemon Chimichurri
- 1.5 lbs chicken thighs boneless skinless
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 level tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
In a large bowl place marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly
Add chicken and cover with plastic wrap, let marine in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Preheat over to 425 degrees.
Remove chicken from marinade and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for 35 minutes or until done.
Rest for 5-7 minutes and serve with Chimichurri
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to release all of the flavors into the oil before using
Instead of baking, this chicken can be grilled. Over glowing red coals or a hot grill, cook on each side for 3-4 minutes.
Cooking Tips for Baked Chicken with Lemon Chimichurri
1. The marinade is thick. Make sure to work the marinade over all the chicken. I use my hand to ensure the marinade is equally spread.
2. When removing the chicken from the marinade, don’t let it all drip off. The marinade forms a nice crust on the chicken when baking, it gets a little crispy and seals in the moisture.
Be sure to save this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.