Kimchi fried rice is a tasty take on fried rice, loaded with veggies and spicy kimchi. Add a fried egg and make it a meal.
Ever since H Mart opened a store less than a mile away from my home, I’ve been on an Asian food kick. And, on one of my many shopping trips, I picked up a container of kimchi only to remember that I really don’t like the stuff as a condiment. I much prefer my spicy pickled cabbage salad. Hating to waste food, racked my brain on what to make. I love love LOVE the steam buns from the dumpling stand, Joong Boo Wang Mandoo, outside Joong Boo Market, But, at $2.50 a pop, why bother with all the work? Then, the other night, I saw What’s Gabby Cooking on an Instagram Live Story making Kimchi fried rice. Bingo! Only, I forgot to write the recipe down. Beyond kimchi and rice, I’m can’t remember what she put in her recipe. Ooops.
Needless to say, I concocted my own version that came out super tasty. In addition to kimchi, this recipe calls for a bunch of veggies and a heavy dose of ginger. I use brown rice to amp up the fiber and healthiness factor. This recipe hits so many marks, vegan, gluten-free (depending on the soy sauce you use), whole grain. Personally, I like to add a fried egg on top to make it meal.
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 4 cups long grain brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup kimchi
- 1 knuckled ginger grated or 2 tbsp pickled ginger, diced
- 1 cup carrots shredded or diced small
- 4 scallions sliced thin
- 1 cup mushrooms enoki or shimeji tops, or shiitake sliced thin
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil preferably sesame
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs chives sliced thin or sesame seed for garnish
In a large skillet, heat oil.
Add carrots, scallions and, mushrooms. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Garnish with chives or sesame seed.
Add garlic, ginger, and kimchi. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Add rice. Mix an cook for 2 minutes.
Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk eggs.
Move rice to one side of the pan add eggs to another side. Stir eggs until firm. Mix eggs into rice.
Garnish with chives or sesame seeds.
Tips for making Kimchi Fried Rice
- This recipe’s cook time is fast. Have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go.
2. Dice the kimchi smaller than it comes in the container. You want all of the vegetables to be similar in size.
3. Make sure to cook the dry vegetables, then the wet kimchi, garlic, and ginger. If you add all the vegetables and spices together they will steam cook and the rice will be mushy.
4. Top the fried rice with a protein for a complete meal. I like a fried egg.
Check out some of my other favorite Asian inspired recipes:
Be sure to save this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.