I'm all about whole grains and making them super tasty. Add some healthy onions and spinach to some protein rich quinoa (okay it's actually a chenopod, but I treat it like a grain) and you've got a super side dish in the making.
As you know the benefits of spinach include:
- flavonoids -- the anti-cancer properties abundant
- neoxanthin and violaxanthin which help regulate inflammation
- anti-oxidants including vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and seleniumne
- one cup of spinach contains over 337% of your daily vitamin A that helps fight acne and wrinkles
- one cup of boiled spinach provides over 1000% of your daily vitamin K that helps strengthen the density of your bones.
- phytochemicals which helps the working of Vitamin C in the body, thus gifting you with improved immunity.
- chromium which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups beef broth
2 cups chopped spinach
2 medium onions (diced)
2 TBS butter (reduce to 1 TBS if you watching your cholesterol or calories, you can also substitute oil oil)
salt and pepper to taste
makes 4 servings
In a pot cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of beef broth. While cooking, in in a pan melt butter and saute onions. Then add shopped spinach.
Mix spinach in the onions until wilted. Then mix in cooked quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is an easy flavor, fiber and protein rich side dish. It pairs well will grilled meat or as a base for beef stew or stir fry.