I like simple and fast food. Rarely do I spend more than 45 minutes preparing dinner. I typically start cooking around 6:45 and dinner is on the table by 7:30 pm if not earlier. These lettuce wraps are quick to make and are a flavorful side dish for grilled meat or fish. They also make a great light meal or appetizer.
Spicy eggplant lettuce wraps
- 1 head bib lettuce washed
- 1 eggplant cut into 1" cubes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon mild flavored oil I like to use peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons Schezwan sauce
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1 cup basil torn or cilantro (leaves removed from stem), use what is in season
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanuts
Salt eggplant, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
In a frying pan or wok heat oil on medium heat, add eggplant and onion, cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
Add Schezwan and Hoisin sauce and mix until eggplant is coated evenly.
Let cool. Scoop 2 tbs of eggplant into an each lettuce leaf. Top with peanuts and cilantro or basil.
This recipe is rather simple to make but here are few tips:
- Before cooking salt your eggplant and sweat it in the refrigerator before cooking. The steps helps ensure the eggplant becomes tender.
- Use fresh herbs, cilantro or basil. It will give your lettuce wraps a vibrant fresh taste and balance out the spicy schezwan.
- This recipe reheats well. Make sure to keep lettuce separate until you are ready to eat. Enjoy!