If I were to pick a junk food to eat myself sick, chips and dip would be it. Chip, dip, chip, dip…I can munch until I’m sick with a belly ache. True Fact.
French Onion dip with wavy potato chips is my favorite chip dip combo. It’s one of those foods that each component is equally awesome. I can never decide which I like more, the chip or the dip. Making really awesome french onion dip is super simple but will take more effort than a packet of french onion soup mix and sour cream (which is still delicious if you’re ever in a pinch for time).
French Onion Dip
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups yellow or white onion, sliced thin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add the onions and salt,
- Add the onions and salt, cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Transfer onions to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Stir in the onion.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Don’t insult the dip with vegetables, serve with potato chips.
This recipe can be lighted up with low-fat sour cream. Please don’t insult the onions by using fat free sour cream. FAT FREE SOUR CREAM IS JUST WRONG.