Oatmeal warms the soul and clears the cholesterol but, quick oats are not as healthy and kinda of a mushy blah in my book. I love steel cut oats, but who has time to cook them before going to work?
Well, I’ve solved that little time problem with my slow cooker. I use my Instant Pot and set it to slow cook on low for 6 hours before I go to bed. When I wake up, VOILA, hot creamy steel cut oatmeal. If you don’t want to make several servings of oatmeal, invest in a Little Dipper. For around 10 bucks you can buy one of these on Amazon. It is a 16-ounce slow cooker and perfect for 1-2 servings of hot oatmeal.
Hearty Winter Oatmeal
- 2 cups of Steel Cut Oats
- 4 cups of liquid (water, milk or any other liquid base you’d like)
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- Grease slow cooker with cooking spray or a little oil.
- Add oats to the slow cooker with a pinch of salt.
- Add liquid, mix until combined.
- Set slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- When oats are done the cooking, spoon into a bowl, top with dried fruits and nuts or fresh fruit or milk or a whatever you like in your oatmeal.
Leftover oats can be refrigerated for up to a week. Heat and reconstitute 1 cup of cooked oats with 1/4 cup with the liquid base.
Check out some of my other favorite breakfast recipes:
Be sure to save this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.