Black Bean and Garlic Tofu is a quick and simple stirfry perfect for an easy meatless weeknight meal.
I always welcome cooking simple, tasty and healthy meals with open arms. I love quick and simple food that is delicious, it’s the constant theme in my kitchen. Stir fry is one of my favorite quick and healthy meals to whip up. For this reason, I always keep black bean and garlic sauce stocked in my kitchen. Black bean and garlic sauce adds a ton of flavor to any stir-fry recipe.
Black bean and garlic sauce is made from Douchi . Douchi is made by fermenting and salting black soybeans. The smell is sharp, pungent, and spicy; the taste is salty, somewhat bitter and sweet. When used in cooking, it gives stirfry that unique stir-fry taste.
Black Bean and Garlic Tofu
- 1 package of drained firm tofu cut into 1" cubes
- 1 red pepper cut into 1" pieces
- 6 scallions sliced into 1.5" pieces
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup black bean and garlic sauce or 2 tbsp black bean paste
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 bunch basil leaves chiffonade
On a plate, place tofu between two paper towels. Place a heavy pan on top. Press for 5 minutes. Cube tofu.
Place tofu on a plate and dust with cornstarch.
In a hot pan with 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil, cook pepper and onions for 3-4 minutes, until cooked but still firm.
Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, heat remaining sesame oil then add tofu. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown.
Add vegetables back into the pan and mix together with Black Bean and Garlic Sauce. Mix until combined.
Cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh basil.
If using black bean paste, in a small bowl whisk black bean paste with 2 tbsp water. Add more water until the consistency of honey. Then whisk in 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
Tips for making Black Bean and Garlic Tofu
1. Press tofu between paper towels to remove excess water before cooking.
2. If using black bean paste, use water to thin the black bean paste. Most are very thick.
3. Cut tofu into cubes. A cutting board is the most used product in our kitchen, and with a quality wooden board in use, they can be even more valuable. While a wooden cutting board is far more durable and safe to our knives and benchtops, they do require a little extra love and attention. Regular cleaning of your board is essential as well as applying a mineral oil for cutting boards to keep it looking good and working at its best.
4. Dust tofu in cornstarch to dry tofu before frying.
Check out some of my other favorite easy dinner recipes:
Be sure to save this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
This recipe, Black Bean and Garlic Tofu, was originally posted on January 14, 2013. Originally titled Black Bean and Garlic Tofu with Mushrooms and Red Pepper, it was updated for accuracy in March of 2018.